Friday, April 17, 2015

Leave Room in Your Life for Art

Leave room in your life for art. Okay. Did I just really use that as a title? Haha.

We all have our pet peeves in social media right? One of them for me is using non-related quotes as caption for selfies. I won't go in lengthy details about this but let's just say that (1) I realized this habit can't be avoided in this over-sharing culture of today (2) I love my friends that I've come to tolerate this stuff and (3) I've just committed this sin myself. But atleast allow me to explain.

To start I have to bring up this convo I had with a much younger friend in the gym years ago (I call her shobe, Chinese word for younger sister). To be honest I can't recall exactly the topic but I remember telling her something like "...but I'm not an artist..." and she ended up explaining to me vaguely how I'm into fashion styling and that somehow is being artistic.

Is fashion an art? There has been much debate about this. But does it allow you to be creative? Then of course the answer is yes. Okay I'm going round in circles on this but please bear with me. Obviously, it has taken me a fashion and arts school enrollment to appreciate more fashion and styling in a whole new level. And what I like most about this is the challenge that comes with every homework editorials assigned to us. I realized that is what I have been doing all along trying to come up with different mix and matches with my everyday wear. An inspection of my WearToday (Cassey Cakes for shameless plugging, lol!) account suggests that yeah I am capable of not repeating the same mixed combo in a year. Of course it doesn't mean anything when you fairly have enough items in your closet so we'll deal with the limited amount perhaps next time? Because as they say, scarcity is the father of creativity? Saaayyy whaaaat??? Hahaha!

Because I'm a quote hoarder too, I'd like to add one more here that just recently all made sense to me lately. Find 3 hobbies: one that make you money, one to keep you in shape and one to be creative. Yes, I found the last one in fashion styling. And when Business Insider said that successful people usually work on a personal passion project, of course I'd like to be successful and I consider styling as that project. :)


To end, I'd like to share this quote from this designer Varvatos who doesn't think himself as an artist,

“If you’re creating and you’re new, and you’re pushing the envelope – I definitely think it’s a form of art.”



Top: Cotton On; Skirt: Bugis market in Singapore; Denim Jacket: Mango
Shoes: Zalora; Sunnies: Flea market in Osaka


No comments:

Post a Comment